Tuesday, July 14, 2009

The Hand in the Cookie Jar

Earlier today I made a big batch of cookies and put them on racks on the table to cool. Madison figured out quickly what they were and walked around saying, "Nummy nummy cookies, Momma!" I told her several times not to touch but did notice her chewing once. I looked at the cookies and sure enough, she'd reached up and picked a little piece off of one and was munching on it. I again brought her to the table and told her not to touch. I pushed the cooling racks further back on the table so they wouldn't be such a temptation within her reach. After I was all done, I split a cookie with her. I then left the batch of cookies to cool on the table and loaded the girls into the van for a quick trip to the store.

Upon returning home, Madison sat down in the middle of the floor to take her shoes off. I took Avery into the bedroom and put her down for a nap. When I came back out, I didn't see Madison. "Where did you go?" I asked aloud. As I rounded the corner into the kitchen, there was Madison, standing in front of the sink with her back to the doorway. She was hunched over with her head down a bit, and in her hands she was rapidly devouring a cookie. "Madison!" I exclaimed. She jumped and turned around with a guilty look. I took the remaining half of the cookie away and scolded, "No no, you do not take things that don't belong to you. Momma told you 'No touch' and you did not obey." I didn't even have to scold her really -- the moment I came in and just looked at her disapprovingly, her face fell with shame and the tears welled up. She knew she was guilty. ;-) Honestly, I had to try to keep a straight face -- it was pretty funny, the little thief. ;-)

1 comment:

Penguin Place said...

LOL...the little cookie monster!