Thursday, March 5, 2009

Potty Progress

Madison has been doing an amazing job going on the potty lately. She was all crankiness and attitude about it when she was a sick a while back, but I've learned over the past year and a half (since 'potty training' her at one month old) not to give up, that they go through phases of cooperation & success. Despite my awkward size and the difficulty of squatting and bending to take her, I've tried to be more frequent & consistent over the past, oh about the past month I guess. If I'm really on top of things and take her often enough, we could go through over half the day before even a little wetness appears in her diaper. The challenge right now is catching her poops because more often than not, she's been getting up from a nap with a poopy diaper. I take her before her nap, hoping she'll do it then but only catch it once in a while. But it's one of those things I think we'll conquer eventually as she matures. In the meantime, we've been going through about 3-4 diapers a day (including her overnight), and that's an encouraging cost savings to me, especially as we're going to have #2 to buy diapers for soon! (And yes, we plan to do infant potty training with #2 as well! It's been a very worthwhile effort and I would encourage anyone with little ones to give it a try.) My next challenge is that, while I was planning to start going to Pull-ups once the new baby is settled in, I don't think Pull-ups are going to be an option for us. From what I can tell, the smallest size they have is 2T-3T, and Madison, at 19 months, is still in a size 3 diaper!

1 comment:

Niecey said...

I was wondering how that was panning out.
We gave up with Zoe, because she started fighting us every time we sat her on the potty. She's coming close to the age where we'll give it a go, from the standard potty training approach.

And I feel bad putting Glenn in diapers. Because he's such an ideal candidate for EC. Everyone talks about how boys pee as soon as the diaper comes off, but he doesn't. He kicks around and plays, and right before he needs to pee, he whimpers. He gives us such a strong signal that he's about to pee. So usually we stick a towel or a diaper there. I know, we totally should take him to the potty. Sigh. I just have so much to do and I couldn't be bothered with the extra effort, to be honest.